Duration : 16 Days / 8 Days trek / Best Season : June to October / Grade : Moderate to Demanding
This trek begins with a visit to the stunning Lamayuru Monastery, the oldest in Ladakh, and ends with a visit to the Alchi Monastery, known for its early Buddhist art in the Kashmiri tradition. Lamayuru is about 80 miles west of Leh, just off the Leh to Kargil road. From Lamayuru the trek proceeds through Wanla and over the high mountain pass of Tar La with its breath-taking vistas, before reaching the village of Alchi on the Indus River. The trek combines trek and culture with high altitude trek and visit of some of the most famous Ladakh Valley Monasteries.
DAY 1: ARRIVE DELHI & FLY TO LEH.
DAY 2 : ACCLIMATIZATION IN LEH. (11,500ft/3,505m)
DAY 3 : VISIT HEMIS MONASTRY + FREE AFTERNOON IN LEH
DAY 4 : VISIT STOK MUSEUM AND THE ROYAL PALACE.
DAY 5 > 7 : acclimatization trek LIKIR-TINGMOSGAM (baby trek) LAMAYURU
DAY 8 : LAMAYURU
DAY 9 : TREK TO WANLA. (5 hrs trek)
DAY 10 : TREK TO URSHI. (6 hrs trek)
DAY 11 : TREK TO TAR VIA TAR LA. (8-9 hrs trek)
DAY 12 : TREK TO MANGYU. (5 hrs trek)
DAY 13 : TREK TO ALCHI. (4-5 hrs) ; return to Leh by Jeep
DAY 14, 15 : REST IN LEH
DAY 16 : FLY BACK TO LEH – HOTEL – DEPARTURE IN THE EVENING
Day 1: ARRIVE DELHI & FLY TO LEH.
Our Local representative will greet you at the international airport and help you transfer to the hotel.
You will have an early morning transfer to the Domestic Airport for the flight to Leh. This must be one of the most sensational flights in the world! On the northern horizon you may be able to pick out K2, the world’s second highest peak, and other Karakoram giants. On your left you can see Nun and Kun the highest peaks in Ladakh at 7100m and 7080m. On your arrival in Leh transfer to Testan Guesthouse (single room). Day at your leisure for acclimatization
Day 2 : ACCLIMATIZATION IN LEH. (3,505m)
Explore Leh Main Bazar and walk to up to Shanti Sputa. Over night at guesthouse.
Day 3 : VISIT HEMIS MONASTRY + FREE AFTERNOON IN LEH
Day 4 : VISIT STOK MUSEUM AND THE ROYAL PALACE.
Stok palace is the last palace ever built by the Ladakhi king Tsepal Tundup Namgyal in 1824.
Day 5, 6, 7 : acclimatization trek LIKIR-TINGMOSGAM (baby trek)
Day 5 : LEH – LIKIR – YANGTHANG (4-5HRS)
We start the Day early in the morning from the Leh. It is 2 hours drive from Leh to Likir following the Indus River. Likir gompa situated atop a windy cliff top overlooking the beautiful village of Likir, This Monastery is headed by the younger brother of Dalai Lama. According to tradition the foundation of Likir monastery goes back 11th century when it was a Bon center. But the real foundation seem to be not earlier than 15th century. On the top on roof they have newly setup a museum which contains some very old thankas brought from Tibet and the armory, coins, seals etc.
After visiting the famous Likir monastery we begin our trek below a mountain nearby the monastery.
Day 6 : YANGTHANG – HEMIS SHUKPACHAN VIA RIZONG (6-7 HRS)
ToDay our trek is pretty long. We walk alongside the river and trees amidst the gorge to the Rizong monastery. It is worth visiting Rizong Monastery, which is an isolated at the back of a natural amphitheatre and has three main rooms to visit, two with large Buddhas and third with a large stupa.
After visiting the gompa, we ascend gradually to the Shushut pass 4000 m. From the pass we have a view of Hemis Shukpachan as well as surrounding peaks. An easy descent towards our camp at Hemis Shukpachan takes a couple of hours. It is one of the major villages of Sham, and the name of the village is derived from the conifers (shukpa cedar or juniper).
Day 7 : TREK HEMIS SHUKPACHAN TO TINGMOSGAM (4 HRS) – DRIVE LAMAYURU
From Hemis Shukpachan we go onto a flat ground as far as ill-defined pass alongside the Chortens (stupas). A steep descent will lead us to the right side of the mountains and climb steadily on the slope towards the Mebtak La 3720 m.
After taking short rest and enjoying the view from the pass, we head down to the village of Ang. From Ang, we head towards the south on the dusty jeep road to the village of Tingmosgam. Tingmosgam is well famed for its monastery, and is perhaps the most affluent village in the sham valley for its apricots, apples, nuts and beautiful houses.
After a tea rest transfer to Lamayuru : we drive down the geologic wonderland of the Indus River valley, past the confluence with the Zanskar River, and on through the small villages of Nimo, Saspol and Khalse. We cross the Indus just past Khalse and begin a steep climb to the village of Lamayuru. We reach the monastery, perched on top of a steep cliff. Stay in guesthouse (there’s WIFI !!!) .
Day 8 : LAMAYURU REST AND VISIT
This monastery is the oldest in Ladakh, dating from the 11th century. The monastery is built around a cave where the Naropa lived and meditated.
Day 9 : TREK TO WANLA (5 hrs trek)
We start our trek from Lamayuru with an immediate descend to a valley. Later we cross a stream, then gradually ascend across a mountain side and reach Prinkiti La (3720 m/12,200 ft). Continue further to Shilla and then to Wanla. On arrival we set up camp and later visit the monastery. Overnight in tents.
Day 10 : TREK TO URSHI (6 hrs trek)
After a hearty breakfast we trek along the Yapola River and cross the bridge before arriving at Phanjila. Hike up the Ripchar River and turn up a sidestream, ascending up to Urshi by late afternoon. Overnight in tents.
Day 11 : TREK TO TAR VIA TAR LA. (8-9 hrs trek)
Today is a difficult, but panoramic day. The path is well marked and steeply ascends to Tar Lar (5200 m/17,060 ft). About six hours takes you to the top of the pass, and about another three hours descent to arrive at Tar village. Overnight in tents.
Day 12 : TREK TO MANGYU. (5 hrs trek)
Todays path goes up along the mountain side to a small pass, then takes an easy descent towards Mangyu. This is an attractive village with an interesting monastery. On arrival set up camp. Later visit the village and monastery. Overnight in tents.
Day 13 : TREK TO ALCHI. (4-5 hrs) ; return to Leh by Jeep
Day 14, 15 : REST IN LEH
Day 16 : FLY BACK TO LEH – HOTEL – DEPARTURE IN THE EVENING
|PARTICIPANTS||PRICE / PERSON (€)|
WHAT A TOUR INCLUDES :
- Domestic Flight Delhi – Leh – Delhi
- Accommodation in Delhi at hotel
- Accommodation in guesthouse at Leh
- Transportation for sightseeing as per the itinerary by Scorpio/Gypsy/Sumo
- English Speaking monastery guide for sightseeing
- All monastery entrance fees in Ladakh
- Arrival and departure transfers at airports in Delhi and Leh with assistance
- Trek on full board
- All trekking equipments; sleeping tents, sleeping bags, kitchen tent, toilet tent, carry mats, water cans, kitchen utensils and accessories etc.
- All trekking staff : Mountain Guide, Trek Cook, Helper, Horse/Pony
- Transportation for trek staff, equipment and food items.
- Potable oxygen cylinder as per requirement
- Hyperbaric Gamow bag as per requirement
- First Aid Box (No imported medicines and accessories)
- Any Inner-line permits applicable as per the regions.
WHAT A TOUR NOT INCLUDES :
- International Airfares
- Trekking shoes
- Food & meals while not treking
- Government Service tax 3.09% on package
- Medical and insurance of any kind.
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like flight delay/cancellation, strike or any other natural calamities
- Tips, laundry, liquors, wines, mineral water, telephone charges and items of personal nature.
- If cancellations are made 30 days before the start date of the trip, 25% of booking value will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made 15-30 days before the start date of the trip, 50% of booking value will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made within 0-15 days before the start date of the trip, 100% of booking value will be charged as cancellation fees.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases the operator will try his best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same.
- The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days
- The customer receives a confirmation voucher via email within 24 hours of successful booking
- In case the preferred slots are unavailable, an alternate schedule of the customer’s preference will be arranged and a new confirmation voucher will be sent via email.
- Alternatively, the customer may choose to cancel their booking and a full refund will be processed.